Job ID 1739
Power Generation Field Service Technician (Level B Technician)
If you want to develop your career with the industry leader who gives you the innovative technology you love to work with and empowers you to deliver a service you can be proud of – then this is where you need to be.
Our Power Generation business delivers reliable, durable, high performing products and services for our customers. You are key to our customers’ success. Working with industry leading technology and diagnostic tools, you’ll deliver solutions that build your knowledge base and fuel your career.
This role is customer-focused and is a key position within our Service business – and enhanced with training on our newest product updates.
This is an exciting opportunity in the Boston area for a Power Generation Field Service Technician. Bay State Generator is where you can work on industry leading engine and generator technologies, as well as electrical, electronic, and computerized power control systems.
Bay State Generator Field Service Technicians:
- Embraces new technology for diagnostics and data gathering.
- Focuses on a high level of customer service and communications.
- Looks to develop their skill set and product knowledge through classroom, hands-on, and virtual training – as well as practical experience.
- Mentors and coaches Apprentice Technicians.
- Readily adapts to a changing work environment and work assignments.
- Diagnoses and completes less complex repairs to generators and components at the customer’s site.
- Engages customers in a courteous and professional manner. Anticipates and ensures prompt and efficient attention to customer needs.
- Applies the use of specialized tools and follows documented procedures and policies to diagnose and complete less complex repairs, including identifying and preparing required parts and tools.
- Performs preventative maintenance activities as per documented schedules and standards on power generation products in the field.
- Escalates unresolved issues to more experienced Field Service Technicians and/or Supervisor. Also coordinates complex issues and repairs with Factory Service Technical Representatives.
- Completes required documentation, such as service worksheets, timesheets, warranty claims, quality documents, etc. via handwritten forms or business system input screens.
- Completes training in line with skill and business requirements.
- Maintains service vehicle, parts stock and tools for cleanliness and proper operation.
- Ensure adherence to all relevant Health Safety & Environmental policies, procedures and legislation and reports any issues / incidents to site management and to their supervisor.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and repair generator set systems in a field environment with minimal direct supervision.
- At direction of Field Service Manager or others, works on new product startups.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical wiring diagrams.
- Understand safety aspects of working with all AC voltages up to 600V, 3 phase.
- Ability to operate all standard service tools plus electrical testing equipment.
- Ability to work with detailed information under considerable time limitations and with minimal supervision.
- Continues training on, and learning troubleshooting, diagnosing and repair capabilities of a highly-skilled Genset technician involving gas or diesel engine, generator, engine governor, generator and engine control gear and electrical power switching mechanisms and their control.
- Proficient in Windows-based operating systems; other computer software as required including Business Management System (BMS), MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.), and other relevant software.
Required Education, Licenses or Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Technical or Vocational school or community college graduates preferred. *EGSA Certification (Apprentice or Journeyman Certificate) a plus.*
. Minimum of 2 years’ experience in repair and maintenance work of power generators and related components, or other mechanical/electrical field.
- Proficient in systematically troubleshooting, diagnosing and repairing emergency power systems and related mechanical/electrical components.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical wiring and schematic diagrams.
- Thorough understanding of single phase and three phase AC electrical systems.
- Understand safety aspects of working with all AC voltages up to 600 volts, 3 phase and have a working knowledge of NFPA70E safety standard.
- Ability to properly and safely use and maintain common hand tools and electrical testing equipment.
. Must be available to participate as needed in “on-call” rotation, and available for “short-notice” assignments during significant events with associated heavy work-loads.
All drivers operating a company vehicle must be at least 21 years old; if the truck is a commercial motor vehicle per FMCSA regulation, the driver is required to hold or able to obtain a valid Commercial Driver License (CDL*).
Physical Requirements (times are approximate):
Standing 7.5 hours per day · Pushing/Pulling 4.0 hours per day · Sitting 1.5 hours per day · Lifting 1.5 hours per day · Lifting up to a maximum of 80 pounds · Bending 3.0 hours per day · Driving 2.5 hours per day. Also extended hours and/or travel may be required based on operational needs.
Compensation and Benefits:
Base hourly rate commensurate with experience. We offer Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Long-Term and Short-Term Disability Coverage, etc. Along with a full-complement of personal and professional benefits – including both internal and external training – both classroom and hands-on. Additional benefits vary, and may include Performance-Based Incentives, Profit Sharing, etc.
Bay State Generator and E-verify:
At Bay State Generator, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law.
Bay State Generator validates right to work using E-Verify. BSG will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to work with modern, technologically-advanced products? Apply for this opportunity to start your career as an extraordinary Tech with Bay State Generator today.
Apply / Submit Resume: Please submit all resumes via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and in the “Subject” line specify “Application for Technician Apprentice Position”. Attach any relevant documentation of Certifications.